A Quintessentially English Christmas
(Join us for a very special Christmas experience) Christmas has been a very special festival in England for centuries and we have many traditions some old, some not so old that make up the way we celebrate. From the shopping and cooking that begin as early as October to the 12-days of the celebration itself it is a really magical time.
At Fleetham Lodge we love Christmas! We decorate the house with greenery from the garden, we have two lavishly decorated trees as well as garlands and lots of beautiful candles and Christmas scents. We also light our fires so there is a warm welcome in the house for any visitors.
Because Christmas is such a special part of English culture we would love to share this experience with you and give you an opportunity to experience some Christmas spirit first hand, so we have put together a very special Christmas experience which combines great immersion activities to develop your English and a plethora of Christmas-themed visits to help you explore what a Quintessentially English Christmas is really like ‘in the flesh’; with Quintessentially Christmas crafts to do (make wreaths and garlands) Christmas literature and culture to discover (read, watch, listen and discuss) and traditional English Christmas cooking to try (cakes, puddings and relishes) all with craft experts plus our own teachers to support you. In the afternoons or evenings we’ll visit some of Yorkshire’s famous great houses in their Christmas glory, attend Christmas fairs and exhibitions and some special Christmas theatre performances. Because our courses are always immersion, on this experience too you will be truly immersed in an English Christmas and we know that not only will you have a fun-packed visit, you’ll also go home with great English!!
You will arrive to a country house welcome full of Christmas light, beautiful decorations, and roaring open fires. You’ll begin your stay with a wonderful English afternoon tea by the fireside. This will be a good chance for everybody to get to know each other and for us to find out something about you and your English and how you want to improve it.
A relaxing dinner together will complete your arrival.
We’ll spend the mornings looking at English traditions and the language and vocabulary associated with Christmas. We have also invited craft experts to come and make some Christmas crafts and do some Christmas cooking with you so you will have a hands on opportunity to discover an English Christmas for yourself as well in addition to having lots of opportunities to speak, listen and improve your English skills with local native speakers. We’ll be introducing you to so many opportunities to speak, learn and enjoy with different local people through the crafts, literature, culture and cooking. After that we go out and about experiencing various different Christmas events and activities all aimed at giving you a chance to enjoy something of our preparation for Christmas while using and improving your English skills naturally.
We have two Christmas Courses to offer (or you may want to stay for 2 weeks) and we have 4 places on each course.
Course 1: November 25th (arrive pm) to December 3rd (depart am)
- Sunday 26th – See how great houses are lavishly decorated for Christmas at Castle Howard
- Monday 27th – Wensleydale Creamery – travel out to the Yorkshire Dales to this famous cheese factory and shop
- Tuesday Nov 28th – Fountains Abbey, pub lunch
- Wednesday Nov 29th – We’ll visit the beautiful city of York and visit a special Christmas market
- Thursday Nov 30th – You’ll visit the Country Living Christmas Fair in Harrogate and indulge in afternoon tea at the famous Betty’s tearooms
- Friday Dec 1st – Harrogate Pantomime *
- Saturday 2nd – Depart am
Course 2: December 3rd (arrive pm) to December 10th (depart am)
- Sunday 3rd – See another great house decorated for Christmas at Kiplin Hall
- Monday 4th – Lotherton Hall Christmas Experience – includes a Twelve Days of Christmas walk in the grounds
- Tuesday 5th – Rievaulx/ The Terrace, pub lunch
- Wednesday 6th – We’ll visit the beautiful city of York and visit another special Christmas market
- Thursday 7th -Visit to Richmond and theatre tour – Pantomime* in Richmond
- Friday 8th – Castle Howard – one of the grandest houses in the UK and decorated for Christmas in style both outside and inside!
- Saturday 9th Depart (am)
* Pantomime is a very old and very traditional form of Christmas entertainment in the UK. It has nothing to do with Mime, but is a funny show based on traditional fairy stories (such as Cinderella, Snow White etc.), with singing, dancing and some satire (commentary on social and political current news) – the audience joins in at certain parts and it is definitely a fun experience suitable for all the family.
*Some activities are subject to availability but we will always substitute a similar activity
- Quintessentially English Christmas costs £1,747 per person (1 week course) – but we have only 4 places to offer on each course so book early to make sure you can join us.
- Book before November 16th to get our early-bird price of just £1,347 per person!
The course fee includes everything – all morning sessions with teachers and craft experts, all visits and entries, trips and activities, full-board accommodation at Fleetham Lodge and transfers from local airports and train station.
The only money you will need is your own personal spending money.
Contact me TODAY to join us