6 Reasons You Might Not Want to Choose London for Your English Course
Let’s face it; the UK is a very small place and you can travel to any part of it in a relatively short time. There are also many delights to be had scenically, historically and in terms of course quality across the whole of the UK so it’s worth spreading your wings and discovering new places!
Don’t get me wrong I like London – I lived there for 12 years and I taught there and received Home Tuition students, too. There is a lot to do and it’s relatively easy (I use this word advisedly as travelling does take a lot of time) to get around. I agree up to a point with Samuel Johnson’s remark:
“When a man is tired of London, he is tired of life.”
But his London was a very different London, and just as London is not England (or the UK) England (UK) is certainly not London!
Visiting London is important if you come to the UK but there are other places, too and certainly if you have already been to London, maybe it’s time for something different!!
So here are 6 reasons why you perhaps shouldn’t choose London:
- Over 300 languages are spoken in London– this makes it a wonderful melting pot of cultures, but if you really want to immerse yourself in the English language, you may not find it so easy.
- London is a busy crowded place– there is a lot to see and do, but it is not so easy to meet and converse with people – how do you find them? Country towns (especially in the north of England) are noted for their friendly, chatty people.
- Other parts of the UK are not difficult to get to– with today’s travel connections it isn’t impossible to get to other parts of the UK easily. We are a small country, and if you are prepared to take a train from London, Manchester or Edinburgh there is an opportunity to engage in conversation and improve skills on the way!
- Most of the population live outside London– they are also spread out so you have room to breathe and more of a chance to engage.
- London is too famous- discover something new; quaint little towns and villages, great country pubs, wonderful scenery, magnificent country estates to visit, different challenges with new accents, new vocabulary and regional news!
- Be adventurous– discover that there is a lot more of the country north, south, east and west of London just waiting to be explored!
Still not convinced?
Here are 6 more reasons.